Being the postgraduate home to South African and international students is a key feature of the UCT Faculty of Law, and contributes in no small measure to the levels of excellence in the Faculty's research and postgraduate endeavour.

The Faculty has produced a great guide for incoming international Law postgrads - about Cape Town, about the university and about navigating your way around. It's available right here for easy download.

In support of UCT's big community of international students at various levels of study, the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO) functions as an administrative home for all international students, providing support, advice, and administrative forms as required. There are a number of rules and regulations to consider when studying at UCT as an international students - so please consult the IAPO site, as it is critical that you are familiar with all of the requirements in becoming a UCT student.

For example, International students must obtain a study permit/ study visa to study in South Africa. This includes students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC). Study permits are obtained from the South African Embassy/High Commission or Consulate in your home country and will give you entry into South Africa for study purposes. You will need between 4 and 6 weeks for your application to be processed. To avoid delays and disappointment, we advise you to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your letter of offer from the Faculty of Law.

To apply for a study permit you will need:

  • A valid passport (must be valid for the period of the visa for which you are applying)
  • A letter of acceptance from UCT
  • A completed application form (B1-159G) (obtainable from the South African Embassy or Consulate)
  • Permit fee as prescribed by the Embassy or consulate
  • A deposit for repatriation
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your studies at UCT (a letter from your sponsors/ bankers stating that there are sufficient funds to cover both tuition and accommodation fees)
  • A written undertaking to leave South Africa on completion of studies and
  • Proof of medical insurance cover (It is your responsibility to contact the insurance company).

There are some important things to remember regarding your study permit:

  • You will not be able to enter South Africa or be able to register at UCT without a study permit.
  • You need to ensure that your study permit remains valid throughout the duration of your residence at UCT
  • You have to apply for your initial or first permit from your home country and the subsequent renewal thereof must be done from within South Africa.
  • When you come to UCT to register, you must present your study permit as well as a copy of the receipt for the repatriation guarantee deposited with the South African representative in your home country.
  • A foreign student who has completed the coursework for the LLM, MPhil or PGDip Programmes and who has returned to his/her home country to write the dissertation/research component of the qualification is no longer required to have a study permit at that stage.

All enquiries regarding the above requirements can be directed to the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO), where they provide a comprehensive FAQ.

Tel: +27 +21 650 2822/3740
Fax: +27 +21 650 5667