- A student may do an Independent Research Paper instead of the seminars and research paper elective. Students prepare their papers by working individually under the supervision of a member of the Faculty.
- Independent research papers should be about 8000 words in length.
- The final title of research to be done under individual supervision of a member of staff must be approved by registration day.
- All papers must be completed by the end of the mid-term vacation in the second semester of the final LLB year (i.e. mid-September).
- Students may be expected to attend a number of general lectures on writing and structuring research papers at the start of the academic year.
- Students may do more than one research paper (subject to the usual conditions). Each research paper counts 9 credits. All research papers must comply with the requirements for the research papers written in fulfilment of the Final Level research component of the LLB.