Associate Professor Graham Bradfield
Graham Bradfield is an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Cape Town. After graduating with Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Law degrees from the then University of Natal, Durban, he completed articles of clerkship and practised as an attorney in Durban before being appointed as a lecturer in the Department of Commercial Law.
He graduated with a Master of Laws degree in Shipping Law from the University of Cape Town. After a stint in legal practice in Sydney, Australia, and in Cape Town, he rejoined the Faculty. He currently convenes the specialist postgraduate programmes in Shipping Law and presents courses in Admiralty Jurisdiction and Practice, Carriage of Goods by Sea, International Law of the Sea, Marine Insurance, and Maritime Law. He has previously taught courses in Special Contracts; Credit, Security, real and personal, and Insolvency Law, and Insurance Law in the LLB programme, and a course in International Commercial Transactions Law in the LLM programme.
Research & Teaching
Graham Bradfield teaches Admiralty Jurisdiction and Practice, Maritime Law, Carriage of Goods by Sea, Marine Insurance Law and International Law of the Sea.
His research interests lie in the fields of Shipping Law; Contract law; International Trade Law; Credit, Security and Insolvency Law.
Graham Bradfield's publications include, amongst others:
- 'Shipping Law' in WA Joubert (ed) The Law of South Africa 3rd ed Replacement (2023)
- Christie’s Law of Contract in South Africa 8th ed (2022)
- 'Sale’ in WA Joubert (ed) The Law of South Africa vol 3 3rd ed (2021)
- ‘Lease’ in WA Joubert (ed) The Law of South Africa vol 3 3rd ed (2020)
- ‘Arrest of Associated Ships’ In P Myburgh The Arrest Conventions: International Enforcement of Maritime Claims (2019)
- 'Carriage in WA Joubert (ed) The Law of South Africa vol 3 3rd ed (2013)
- 'Sale' in Principles of the Law of Sale & Lease 3rd ed (2012)
- Chapters on 'Agency', 'Artificial Persons', 'Carriage', Deposit', Donation' 'Insolvent Persons', 'Loan', Partnership' and 'Suretyship' in Francois du Bois (ed) Wille's Principles of South African Law 9th ed (2007)
- 'Guilt by Association: Associated Ship Arrests in South African Admiralty Law' 2005 Part 2 May Lloyd's Maritime & Commercial Law Quarterly 234-52.