The Clinic in the Refugee Rights Unit is a recognised practice where UCT LLB students may complete their compulsory community service hours.
Community service will consist of the following:
- One-on-one consultations with asylum seekers
- Establishing a prima facie refugee claim
- Completing an affidavit under the supervision of an admitted attorney
- Explaining the attestation of affidavit process to clients
- Conducting ‘country of origin’ research
- Recording of statistics
- Proper filing and saving of all documents
Community service is completed under the supervision of one of the Unit’s attorneys.
Community service is offered to students registered for the Refugee Law elective. Only a limited number of additional students will be allowed to do community service with the Unit.
The community service will generally be completed during students’ vacations.